Now that you have your Stryd paired to your watch and phone it's time to set up your Power Zones so you can start training and racing with power.
To do this you will need to perform a Critical Power (CP) test. You can do the CP test with a watch or phone. It is possible to perform the test without any recording device and use the data directly from Stryd, but that is more complicated.
To do this please follow these instructions:
If you are to enter a 5k or 10k time I would recommend you choose your PB test within the last 3-4 weeks. If you do not have a 5k or 10k time within that time frame we recommend you perform either the lap test or timed test.
If you are to select either or the tests the protocol will be outlined for you underneath the drop-down menu. Once you have performed the test, enter in the power values for each of the segments and a CP will be calculated for you along with your running power zones.
When you run with the watch, you can either use manual laps or set your auto-laps to be 400 meters (for the 6/3 lap test). You can also record a new activity for each segment (i.e. one run of six laps / 9 minutes and one run of three laps / 3 minutes). You can get your pace, time and power information from PowerCenter after your run. With a phone, recording two activities is likely the easiest.
- 15 to 20min warm up with various strides and dynamic drils (we recommend doing 2x30sec @ 3k intensity + 4x15sec @ mile intensity all with 60sec recovery, and dynamic drills of your choosing to prepare for a race effort)
- 9min (or 6 lap) time trial
- 30min active recovery (light jogging or walking)
- 3min (or 3 lap) time trial
- 10 to 15min cooldown of light jogging
After you performed the test or you have 5k/10k information, enter your information in PowerCenter (note that you can enter the information also in the Stryd app on your phone):
- Log into your PowerCenter account
- Click on the 'Settings' tab at the top of the page
- Click on 'Zone/Setting' on the left side of the page (3rd option down, green circle)
This will bring you to the Critical Power Test page. You will see a drop-down menu under the title and if you are to click on that you will have four options to choose from. You can either:
- Enter a 5k time
- Enter a 10k time
- Perform a 6/3 lap test
- Perform a 9/3 minute test
Running off the bike is very different than just going for a run. If you are to enter a 5k or 10k time be sure it is a time from a sprint or an Olympic triathlon. If you would like to perform one of the other two options, we recommend you do an hour ride before performing the test.