These instructions are for the original version of the Garmin VivoActive watch, if you have a different model VivoActive such as the VivoActive 3, these instructions are incorrect. To switch off GPS, to force the watch to take pace and distance from Stryd, do the following:
1. Press the Enter button (right side of the watch) and select Run.
2. Tap the Menu icon (three horizontal lines in the lower right corner).
3. Swipe to “Settings” and tap the screen.
4. Swipe to “Sensors” and tap the screen.
5. If “GPS” is not showing swipe the screen until it is, then tap the screen.
6. If GPS shows ON do step 6A. If GPS shows Off do step 6B
6A. Tap the switch to turn GPS Off.
6B. Tap the switch once to turn On GPS then again to turn GPS Off.
(Note: the first time I did step 6B my Vivoactive power cycled itself.)
7. Tap the back or Lap icon (bottom left corner) three times to get back to the Run screen.
8. If the GPS is off you will see a “X" in the top left corner instead of “GPS”
9. Turning the GPS off is not sticky, meaning each time you go to Run GPS turns on by default so to use Stryd to track pace and distance these steps need to be followed.
If you need additional assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.